Case Study: Elderly person living at home with incipient dementia
Beate is 76 years old and lives alone in an apartment in the city.
Beate is physically healthy, but she has in the last couple of years become more forgetful. She has trouble remembering to take her medicine.
She can also go out in the middle of the night because she thinks she's going to the store.
She has also forgotten food on the stove so that it has been scorched.
She would like to continue living at home and her children have suggested using different types of welfare technology to make this happen.
Task 1 (healthcare/technicians):
- Healthcare make a survey of Beate and come up with suggestions for different types of welfare technology he can use.
- Healthcare goes together with technicians and find out if the suggestions are possible to solve.
Task 2 (healthcare/technicians):
- Work together and find how you can motivate Beate to use welfare technology.
- Work together and find how you can advise and guide Beate in using welfare technology.
- Make an instruction video where you teach the patient and healthcare workers to use a certain welfare technology tool.
Task 4 (technicians):
- Make a floor plan with technical installations in the apartment. (We have made a guide for placement of equipment. We must also make sure to follow national laws and regulations).
Task 5 (healthcare/technicians):
- Discuss what kind of ethical dilemmas you can face when using welfare technology in Beate apartment.
- After 2 months you and Beate meet and discuss how this has worked out for him.
- Come up with suggestions of things that may not work and what we can improve.